AUK Faculty Job Description
Job Title: Instructor/Lecturer, General Studies (Humanities/Social Science)
Company: The American University of Kurdistan (AUK)
Location: Duhok, Kurdistan Region
Job Type: 1 Full Time Faculty
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Posting Date: October 15, 2018
Expiry Date: Open until filled
AUK invites applicants for a full time faculty position for General Studies courses. AUK is a recently established public, not-for-profit, special status institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading academic institution in the autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the Coordinator of the General Studies Program.
AUK invites applications for this faculty position starting the beginning of spring semester 2019.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated and suitably qualified academic/practitioner with a background in social science and/or humanities. The successful applicant will join a vibrant, international team and help shape the development of the basic skills needed by our students to thrive in their upper level courses. The following are the main responsibilities:
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide. The basic instructional assignment is 18-24 credit hours per academic year, unless provided a waiver for administrative or research duties or by approval of the Provost. An additional three (3) credit hours of teaching per semester may be assigned subject to the approval of the faculty member and the Provost. The Faculty Member engaged in extra teaching loads shall be compensated based on the prior approval of his/her immediate supervisor and per the financial policies, rules, and amendments of the University.
- Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, labs, and presentations.
- Participate in program level learning assessment. Participation includes helping articulate learning outcomes, choosing and administering measures, evaluating student performance, and suggesting changes to improve students learning.
- The Faculty shall implement the AUK provisions and regulations on Quality Assurance (QA) and Institutional Academic Effectiveness (IAE) for enhancing student's learning outcomes.
- Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in clinical, internship, observation, field experience, and similar settings as appropriate for the course or program.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times. A faculty member should inform the supervisor if he or she is unable to meet a class on time.
- Keep a flexible weekly schedule that best facilitates student learning and access. Any changes in the scheduled class times or locations should have prior approval by the faculty's supervisor. Help students achieve their educational goals through formal and/or informal advising.
- Post and keep on campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, faculty senate, or as a student organization advisor.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline.
- Mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally.
- Attend commencement or other ceremonies appropriate to the faculty member's discipline or program.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings.
- Perform other academically related duties as assigned by the instructor's supervisor.
- Participate in faculty business meetings and forums.
- Participate in faculty evaluation process.
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Participate in college professional development activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- MA/PhD (preferred) from a reputable institution in social science or humanities.
- Preferably At least 3 years’ experience teaching at a tertiary level in the Middle East.
- Ability to teach at least TWO of the following courses: American Literature, Debate/Critical Thinking, Introduction to Communication, Study Skills, Ethics and Moral Responsibility, Academic Writing.
- Proficiency in online learning software. (e.g., Blackboard, OneNote, etc.)
- Strong communication skills required to transfer the knowledge to the student body. Non-native speakers should have an IELTS score of at least 7.5
- The Recruitment Committee will review applications on a rolling basis and will continue accepting applications until an appointment is made. To assure full consideration, applications should be received as soon as possible and include:
- A cover letter outlining why your experience makes you a strong candidate for this position.
- A resume
- Three recent reference letters, including one from your most recent supervisor
- References will be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Applications should be sent electronically with the subject “Instructor of General Studies” to Human Resources (email@example.com).