The VIB Center for Molecular Neurology (VIB CMN) and the Department of Biomedical Sciences of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinarian Sciences, is seeking to fill the following part-time (10%) vacancy
Temporary academic staff in the area of Clinical Genomics
The VIB CMN is one of eight research centers of the VIB. In VIB CMN, approximately 80 scientists work in the domain of complex neurological diseases of both the central and peripheral nervous system (http://www.uantwerpen.vib.be). The VIB CMN has a neuromics support facility focused on high-throughput genomic analyses. Also the University has several supporting central facilities amongst others for biomedical imaging (confocal microscopy, EM, MRI, microtomography) and proteomics.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of clinical genomics with an emphasis on neurodegenerative brain diseases.
- You participate in lecturing in the broad field of your research expertise within the educational programs of the faculty.
- You will design and perform data generation and analysis on large population cohorts integrating multi-omics (e.g. genomics, epigenomics and phenomics) datasets.
- You will develop and apply innovative approaches to identify genetic disease modifiers and disease biomarkers related to neurodegenerative brain diseases.
- You act as a key leader in multidisciplinary collaborations inside and outside the VIB and the university.
- You acquire and manage local, national and international research funding.
- You supervise bachelor, master and PhD students.
- You will offer scientific services: you provide scientific advice and expertise in clinical genomics to other research groups in the VIB and at the university.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in biomedical sciences or biochemistry or equal.
- You have the ability to lead a group of scientists performing high-profile scientific research.
- You have a deep knowledge of computer-based analysis (R and other statistical/bioinformatics tools) as well as wet-lab methodologies.
- You have a minimum of 6 years of research experience in the design and analysis of genomic studies in the field of neurodegenerative disorders and a strong publication record.
- You are experienced in interdisciplinary collaborations relevant to the research on neurodegenerative brain diseases and have a successful track record of international collaborations.
- You have strong social and communicational skills and are able to work in a team and have good executive abilities.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- a part-time position as a lecturer (or higher, depending on academic qualifications and professional experience) for a period not exceeding three years. The appointment is possibly renewable after positive evaluation;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2019;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.255,06 - € 6.272,13 and for senior lecturer from € 4.872,61 - € 7.654,80;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 21 July 2019.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. dr. Rosa Rademakers, scientific director VIB CMN, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.